Sunday, September 21, 2008

Report from the Netherlands (Finally)

Hellooooooo! I had hoped to have sent my first web journal (aka 'blog') by now, but events intervened. We arrived at Schiphol Airport after the best kind of flight - i.e., without incident. We've seen some beautiful sights so far, but the loveliest by far was right there at the arrivals area of Schiphol.



Our new grandson, Wes, with his mama.

We had breakfast at Schiphol and then sent Ellen on her way to Columbus for the wedding of her best friend, Jessica. Ben, Carol, Wes and I set out on the two-hour drive to their home in Eygelshoven, where Carol and I set about being as helpful as we could be.

We walked the grandpuppies, Spud & Bella. (Guess which one is Spud.)

We attended to Wesley Raymond.

But it wasn't all hard work and no play. Actually, the work was pretty much play. I mean, a new grandson and two grandpuppies! Even diaper changing was a treat, once we learned the intricacies of the infant waste containment package (more complicated than the cloth diapers we used lo these many years ago, but pretty cool modern diapers).

When we weren't attending to a baby, dogs and household chores, Ben fed us well and kept us lubricated with good Dutch beer and wine (not Dutch). After dinner we played games and drank more Dutch beer. Carol and I discovered the countryside outside the tiny town of Eygelshoven on our dog walks. On Saturday we took in the local market, which is fabulous - as good as the farmer's market and only a five-minute walk from their home. On Sunday the four of us drove to Tongeren, Belgium, to take in the antiek markt. (Can you figure that out?)


The Steakmeister took good care of his in-laws.

Our dog walks in the countryside are lovely.

Taking a break from looking at Belgian antiques.

So, I'm about to publish this; I hope I don't inadvertantly delete it. In my next journal entry, I'll tell you about our visit to Bruges, Belgium, and about Carol's and my unexpected adventure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are not feeding that baby beer. I know that those fancy Europe types think that's sheik. Remember you is a American. I hope you are wearing a flag pin.
Earl

Anonymous said...

I feel like I am along for the ride. Keep on bloggin, Marc.

Anonymous said...

Good words.